Additional Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

We Have Become King George III

Since my last post "I Will, I Am" I have gotten some good advice both on the comment section and via email. Many feel that it is unnecessary to make the sort of sacrifices that I suggested. The general theme is that mischief will continue to be created whether I sit in jail or not. There are examples of others who have tried the same thing and have been imprisoned for it. It is suggested that I would never get my day in court to solicit the jury as I would like. Some even suggested that I would better serve the cause as a free advocate for the liberty I cherish.

All of these points are well taken and appreciated. It is important to understand the legal system though. It is not necessarily a choice between freedom and ideals. It is not necessarily a choice between freedom and being that voice calling out to others. To what extent this may be true, it is more justification for the plan. My point is this: I don't intend to go to jail for 20 years here. The idea is to get tossed into the clink for a while on contempt charges of which I am already guilty.

If I could find a common ground, I would. If there was some place I could go that would allow me to be unfettered from laws and entanglements and restrictions and regulations, I would simply go. I am not saying that there should be no laws, but for a generally civil individual the laws should be easily obeyed, comfortable and in line with our own thoughts and actions. Laws that prescribe for us light bulbs and toilet capacities are beyond comfort and are burdensome. The fact is we have allowed ourselves the unenviable position of placing ourselves in a prison with no walls. Do you think you are free? Really?

I am old enough to recall true freedom, before lawsuits became the mode of discourse and people just had to work things out among themselves. During my lifetime there has been a significant change in the thought process of the American. Initially, lawsuits were brought by angry, intemperate people who were looked down upon. It was a degree of pettiness only the insufferable could produce. Decent people, reasonable people, worked things out. We didn't need laws to tell the restaurants what to fix and how to prepare it and how much salt to use. Do you get it? Once lawsuits were allowed to dictate the actions of others to protect us from ourselves life began to grow dim and uninspired. Any degree of discomfort became the responsibility of our neighbor to ease it and if not by goodness of heart, then by force of law.

We now live in a world of restrictions for fear of legal reprisals. It is an effective prison we have built for ourselves. My struggle is to regain control over those decisions through an assertion of liberty and property, the security of which were the chief causes of our revolution. We have become King George III. I must rebel.

2 comments:

  1. Linked and quoted at http://thatmrgguy.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/full-circle-king-george-revisited/

    Good article TL. I too remember the freedom we had back in the day. I was born and raised in SoCal back in the 60's and 70's. The Proggies hadn't taken over there yet and it was a nice place to live.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir: You have slandered King George. He would never have considered imposing the rules and restrictions or using the intimidation that our government uses. The redcoats after the Boston Massacre were tried, were there any trials for the agents at Ruby Ridge or Waco. And lest I be seen as a right wing wacko, look at all the innocent victims of police shootings black and white whose recourse is not with the criminal courts but only with money judgments in civil courts, the costs of which are passed from the guilty to the taxpayer.

    ReplyDelete