Additional Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Is It Worth It?

In this time of turmoil, political and economic, it seems strange to me that the capitol is not besieged by irate citizens of every stripe. I used to believe that the government, while offensive on a number of fronts, was generally doing the will of the people. It was not doing MY will, but then I figured I must be that far out on the fringe that my concerns were not those of most other Americans.

For a long time I think I was right. I mean, I am a radical, right? I don't like seat belt laws that tell me how to protect myself. I don't think the government has a right to tell me to accomplish a task (put the tab into the slot and click it) twenty or thirty times a day for the offhand possibility that sometime in my life I might get into an accident. Well, since the law has gone into effect, I have not had an accident. That was twenty-three years ago in Colorado. Twenty-three years I have been doing the government's bidding (Okay, I haven't, but I was supposed to) without any just cause that I can see. I haven't had an accident, so the seat belt has done me no good whatsoever. But, what if.... Yes, what if! That is a great reason to inhibit liberty.

All right, so the seat belt issue is one where I am alone, I understand that. Everyone else agrees with it, or don't want to fight about it. I appreciate that. They do save lives when used, I have done the research. I agree that one never knows when one will be in an accident. If the time of an accident were known, it would be avoided. I get all of that. But, for me, the passage of seat belt laws is when we accepted ownership by the government. Where the seat belt law is different from all others is that it forces a decision that concerns only the person who makes the decision (oh yeah, their families, too). Even an abortion involves at least one other person and we allow the woman to make that decision, but we cannot be trusted to protect our own lives. How many are dead now because of abortion? No one is going to be killed by a person flying through one windshield and into another windshield and finally, injuring people in the opposing car. If there were an impact that great no one would be left alive to be injured.

But, I don't want to get too hung up on the seat belt issue. For me that was the point at which I began to chaff under the collar of the government. It has only gotten worse since then. By accepting the concept that the government has the right to protect us from our own decisions, we have accepted them as better able to decide what is best for us and our lives. When they got that ball, they ran with it.

So, here we are, twenty-three years later, and my liberty is inhibited in almost every way I can think of. They started deciding everything for me. They know which light bulb is best. They know which toilet is best. They know what sort of energy is best. They know what toys are best. They know what sort of sweetener I need. They know what sort of medical attention I will need and whether I really need it or not. Soon, they will be there to figure out whether I should even have a car. "You would be much safer on the train (where does that train go?)." Thank you, gracious leader, for not choosing to make me walk, that's all I can say. To which the government would respond: "Well, you don't really need to live so far from work do you? Maybe you should move, so you can walk and save resources for the benefit of the planet."

Here's the thing. I know there are a lot of people out there who feel that government is too intrusive and working way past the mandate of the Constitution. Where are they? Why is there not a constant crowd of people surrounding the Capitol, threatening those inside with imprisonment for abuse of power? I don't get it. I know now that I am not the lunatic I once assumed I was, because the Internet has found all of you folks for me. I know you are there now and I feel less a freak. I know that doesn't say much for all of you, so I apologize.

Really, though, why aren't you at the capitol? I have been there several times over the past few years over one issue or another: Obamacare, 8/28, etc. As most know, I will be going back on 1/21 and staying for a while. I feel like a late-comer even at that, because I feel like I should be there today, right now.

Why isn't the damn place surrounded?

Here's what I think. I think if you thought that you wouldn't be standing there all alone with no support and no means of getting your message out and exposing yourself as a radical and perhaps opening yourself up to attack from SEIU thugs who are sent out from the government to harass you, you would be there. I think if you saw some tangible benefit, like an actual change in the law, or a concession that your cause was just, that you would be there. Am I wrong? I think that if you saw that it could really accomplish something and not just be some idle protest or vague message sent out into the wilderness you would show up.

Okay, so let me ask you this: What if you knew that by going to Washington you would return the government to constitutional limitations? Would that be worth it? I'm not saying that it is possible, it is just a hypothetical. Would that be worth it? What if you could take just one thing that is unconstitutional and get rid of it? Would that be worth it?

See, what I am getting at here is you need to define what it is that is worth the sacrifice of a week off from work and the expenditure of maybe $1,000. Everyone has a different point at which that is worth it. I want to know what that would be for you. Actually, I want you to know what that would be for you. In the old days I would be asking you to take up your musket and march with me to DC. In the old days I would be handing out torches and pitchforks. I would be ringing a bell or holding a lantern. I would be asking you to put your life on the line, to take a bullet if necessary and I would stand with you with my chest revealed to the enemy as well.

Today, I am asking for one week of your life and $1,000 of your fortune to make a difference, perhaps the greatest difference to be made in your lifetime, or the start of several such differences each at different levels of government. We have an opportunity to bring not just Tea Parties, or Second Amendment groups together to do something miraculous, but every American citizen who feels like the government has paid off too many banks, bailed out too many companies, assumed too much debt, left too many people unemployed, and charged our children way too much for these excesses of the Constitution.

It always starts with a seat belt law and progresses to the absolute disregard for our founding documents, documents that are the only legitimate source of their power, by the way. If indeed the protections and the limitations of the Constitution mean nothing, then I am afraid that the power and protection it offers our representatives, senators and president mean nothing as well. Without that, they are just men and women who have absconded with our republic and sit now in the chairs of despots.

Think about it. On Monday I will reveal a way for you to do something about it.

Graciously linked and quoted at Bonnie Blue Blog.
Graciously linked at Momento Mori.

Cross-posted at WASHINGTON REBEL.

9 comments:

  1. T.L. - I've never held the opinion that marching around with signs accomplishes anything. The "powers that be" could care less.

    Considering my background, a more subversive approach holds more appeal.

    However, you may change my mind. I'm always open to other opinions from people I respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne, it is not that sort of protest. The initial kick off event will be on 1/21, I will send you an email about the rest of it. Think subversive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to Monday. T.L. great blog ya have here followed the link from WRSA to Wash.Rebel to here. Pete has linked several of your pieces and I will befollowing more of your work, like I said Great stuff. BTW I have'nt used my seatbelt either and am still alive to tell the tell, More freeks in this world than either of us thought.

    Dennis
    III
    Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quoted and cross-posted at thebonnieblueblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie Blue is on the blogroll, thought you were there already. Sorry. Thanks for the link and quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things of worth are usually what we carry away after an exchange of consideration. “Was it worth it”, is usually what we ask when we are the ones being carried away. An exchange involves payment for a result we deem at last equal to the worth of our payment. However, sacrifice is when we voluntarily lose something for a cause greater than ourselves. Note that the spark of sacrificial mass rebellion may be more the result of something like why a Bass strikes a lure, rather than why a Patriot hits a Loyalist. The short term results for both Bass and bandolier may appear similar, although said Bass will grace their dish in a more assuaging presentation. Right, so they can kill me but they can’t eat me. I submit the TSA rebellion as confirmation. In response, how many commenter’s and responders have referenced the USSR and Solzhenitsyn than would have previously identified their own selves with or even recognize the model of the Three Percent? They came from the woodwork in retort to the tyranny. They located their backbone, before the TSA located their Coccyx. Tyranny, for those so inclined to liberty, is the universal Chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete