Additional Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Race Is On

No, I don't mean the George Jones classic, I mean the tilting dominoes of the European Union. Ireland, Portugal and Greece. Each nation is teetering like a drunk doing the midnight heel-to-toe. We are all just taking bets on the first to spill into full-blown bankruptcy and which nation will be taken with it.

In America there is a race between imposing Obamacare and the economic meltdown set up by the same shysters who dreamed up the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. None other than Paul Krugman today admitted that death panels, a thing they rejected vehemently only a few months ago, would have to be imposed alongside a new Value Added Tax, or VAT, in order to supply healthcare to everyone, except of course those who were deemed "goners" by the death panel that is only a fiction of a vast, rightwing conspiracy and a lunatic governor from Alaska.


The question not being asked, or not being allowed to be asked by the Obama Administration, is why do we need to mess with health care at all? Weren't we the world leaders in medicine? Didn't we have the best doctors from all over the world? So maybe a few deserving people didn't get health care when they needed it, the vast majority did. They really aren't changing that equation, they are just being a little more scientific about which one of us is left out. The science used is simple mathematics, if one is old and going to die within a decade, or so, they have reached their expiration date and will not be allowed to hog all the good medical care. I wonder how long it will take for them to decide a long, terrible disease isn't worth paying for either and even if one is 16 years old, it might not be fiscally responsible to give that person treatment. This is just euthanasia by cop.

The government should not be in this business, but the minute we bought the idea that seat belts would save lives and subjected ourselves to the law requiring us to make good decisions about our own health we lost the personal responsibility argument. It never starts with totalitarian BS, but it always leads to it. The slightest crack in individual responsibility brings a wedge of governmental judiciousness to exploit the breach.

Cross-posted at WASHINGTON REBEL.

5 comments:

  1. Man, you are SPOT ON!
    Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found it too, Jim! I enjoy your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been bothered for a while about the new smoke free laws that have been passed recently in KS. Not being a smoker myself, I am thoroughly enjoying being able to go to a restaurant and enjoy my dinner without the cigarette and cigar smoke that made me sneeze and permeated my clothes. That being said, there has been something about it that has me bugged that I have not been able to put my finger on. Tobacco is, after all, legal, yet the government has stepped in. You put into words what I was unable to. What a load off. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's another pet peeve, not being a smoker either, but I when in Denver I used to frequent this "cigar bar" if for no other reason than to help them succeed in holdin onto their exemption. It was a breath of fresh air (pardon the pub (unfortunately also intended)) just to be around "free" individuals.

    ReplyDelete